• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1GHZ less than I should be getting

silo8811

1715103529649.png
1715103572727.png

I have my i7 4790k and getting EDP current. I just rebooted after doing some windows corruption fixing, and now my CPU is getting 1ghz under what it should be. Does anyone have advice on how to fix this? When I load up some CPU-intensive stuff, things lag QUITE a bit.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows. What is IccMax set to for the core and the cache?

I would not use XTU and ThrottleStop together at the same time. Two different programs writing different values to the same CPU registers might cause a conflict.

unclewebb

You have an EDP Current throttling problem. In the TPL window try setting the PP0 Current Limit to either 0 or set this limit to the max, 1023. That might help.

The default turbo time limit is 28 seconds. Fix that in the Power Limit Controls section or fix that in the BIOS.

Your CPU is older so it does not use the IccMax setting in the FIVR window that I mentioned earlier. No need to worry about that setting.

silo8811

It isnt using more than the limit, so it shouldnt be doing anything?

My clockspeed has recovered. Thanks! Any idea what caused the issue in the first place? I assume this isnt concerning either? Chip hasnt passed 50c in a loooooooooong while, and 50 is cold for a haswell
1715123384898.png

unclewebb

Try checking the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of the TPL window. That might help with the CORE POWER throttling.

what caused the issue in the first place?
The BIOS is not setting your CPU up correctly. Have you made any changes recently? Make sure you are using the most recent BIOS version. Reset the BIOS to default values if you have made some random changes.

silo8811

Didnt help. I did make a couple of changes to BIOS, specifically changing a couple things about fastboot since the computer wasnt booting with it, and trying to debug ram (I think channel a is dead on the mobo) other than that, no.

unclewebb

Core Power lighting up red in Limit Reasons is usually related to the PP0 Power Limit setting. For most computers, leaving the PP0 Power Limit set to 0 disables this limit and it can be ignored. Try checking the PP0 Power Limit box and set this limit and the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the max. I think the max is limited by what you have set the MSR power limits to. Not sure if this will make any difference. I do not know what else to try.

I think channel a is dead on the mobo
Something like that might be causing the BIOS to set some of the power limits incorrectly.